Trade Recognition


Formal qualifications can open doors to employment and opportunities for advancement. In some occupations Trade Recognition and skills assessment is essential.

Perhaps you have extensive skills and experience but no formal qualifications. Or some that are not accepted in Australia. There are ways you can have your trade skills assessed and formally recognised.


Australian Skills Group

Overseas qualifications and experience

If you move from overseas and now live in Australia, or intend to move to Australia in the near future, you might be able to get recognition for your skills or qualifications. And the following services are available to you:

Skills Recognition of prior learning for a full or part qualification

Is this you?

  • I have worked in a hotel in one capacity or another for many years and want to try and get a promotion. Is there any way I can get formal recognition for my past and current skills and knowledge?
  • I started a course a couple of years ago but only finished one year. Can that year count towards a similar qualification in the same industry?

Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is a process that assesses whether the skills and knowledge you already have count towards a Nationally Recognised qualification or Statement of Attainment. You may be able to shorten the length of time for further studies. In some cases, you may get 100 per cent recognition for your qualification, meaning you would not have to study at all.

To have your skills recognised you need to get a formal assessment.

Who Can Apply?

Anyone with a trade background and at least five years industry experience may apply to have his or her skills recognised nationally. This may include time in training and/or employment either in Australia or overseas.

How to Apply?

Fill out the Trade Recognition Enquiry form on this page, giving us your contact details and the trade in which you are interested in gaining recognition. We will contact you for a short discussion and send you the appropriate forms.