Undertake manual handling
The MEM11011 Undertake Manual Handling unit applies to lifting and moving materials manually and/or using basic manual handling equipment in a wide range of environments.
Maximum manual lifting weight is limited to National Occupational Health and Safety Commission (NOHSC) recommendations.
This unit has no prerequisites.
Employability Skills Information
This unit contains employability skills.
Elements and Performance Criteria
Lift materials manually
Material weight is determined correctly utilising most appropriate technique, and risks associated with lifting are assessed.
Lifting techniques are undertaken to National Occupational Health and Safety Commission (NOHSC) and standard operating procedures. Types of movement, methods, storage, height and position are considered.
Move/shift materials manually
Appropriate equipment is selected where required.
Material is placed safely and securely on moving equipment.
Material is relocated ensuring safety of personnel and security of material.
Material is unloaded from moving equipment and placed in a safe and secure manner.
Required Skills and Knowledge
Look for evidence that confirms skills in:
- identifying relevant standards and lifting techniques
- assessing weight of material
- selecting lifting equipment
- working and communicating in teams
- assessing risks
- reading and interpreting routine information on written job instructions, specifications and standard operating procedures. May include drawings
- following oral instructions
Look for evidence that confirms knowledge of:
- manual handling techniques
- hazards of incorrect procedures
- NOHSC standards for manual handling
- safe work practices and procedures